Saturday, May 2, 2009

Book Lover's Recession Tips #1: Join Borders Rewards!

As a book lover and avid reader, this current recession has really been cramping my style as far as new reading material. However, books are vital to my sanity, so I have a couple of tips I have picked up to continue to feed my reading habit.

Tip #1 -> Join Borders Rewards
I am NOT a big fan of giving away my personal information to people or getting annoying, weekly newsletters; but, desperate times call for desperate measures. Almost every Borders Rewards email comes with a 25-40% coupon that is usually only valid for like 2-3 days. Some coupons require a minimum purchase, others exclude comics and some are valid in store only. Read the fine print.

Since Amazon generally discounts their books by about 20%, I usually ignore anything under 30% off. You will usually find Amazon's "4 for 3" or regular sale price to be a better deal. The 40% off coupons are rare, but they offer great savings especially on trade paperbacks over $10 and hardcovers.

Sign up the next time you stop by your local Borders. If memory serves me well, I think you get a special coupon when you sign up!

Barnes and Noble has a similar rewards program, but it has an annual fee... >_< here. But with only a 10% discount on most books, you are probably better shopping at Amazon.

Next week's tip -> Pimping your local library!

xoxo,
Tissie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Go to your local library!

Allie said...

I love free books even better... Harlequin is giving away 16 free eBooks to celebrate their 60th anniversary here: http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/index.php. Enjoy!

Allie

aoi_aka said...

B&N's program makes you have to spend money to get your $25 sign-up fee back. So unless you have deep pockets or money burning your wallet, go for it.

Borders' program used to be soooo good but now it just plains sucks. You get $5 back if you spend $150. Yeah, you get the coupons every week but have you seriously ever taken a coupon when you go there? I was there last Friday and guess what? I forgot to check the e-mail for a coupon. Tons of people forget their coupons and the cashiers won't let you get the discount 'cause you didn't print it out. :(

Tissie said...

I make it a point to print out all the coupons and stick them in my purse so I always have them. The reward program used to be a lot better, but I have got some really good deals with the 40% off coupons.

Post a Comment