Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Space Time Travel - They're talking about folds from Macross

So I just bumped into an article on yahoo regarding Star Trek's Warp Drive.

"While any given object can't travel faster than light speed within space-time, theory holds, perhaps space-time itself could travel."

"The idea is that you take a chunk of space-time and move it," said Marc Millis, former head of NASA's Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Project.

OMG! That just totally sounded like folds from Macross. For you non-Macross fans, I'll try to explain what a fold is. Take a string, for example. Hold the ends apart, basically so the line is a string. Take your spaceship, SDF-1 (for example), and say it's on the left end on the rope. Now, move the right end to the left end, so the string is relaxed and "folded". And there you go, a fold.

I know I'm a nerd but hopefully there are some nerds who will enjoy this. I just totally geeked out... >_<

~Meg

5 comments:

Allie said...

Meg, you are such a nerd! There have been tons of explanations about the space-time continuum everywhere... And speaking of which, I'm almost finished working on the manga for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Makoto doesn't have a space ship, but she gets around pretty well. ;)

Tissie said...

The answer is 42! Bonus points to whoever gets that joke.

aoi_aka said...

*gets Tissie's joke*

This almost sounds like the theory about wormholes and how they can take you from A to B w/o actually traveling the distance.

Suzu said...

@Tissie
I actually know people who've never heard of 42 or the hitchhiker. O.o Oh my god, scary! XD

Allie said...

ROFL. I'm watching Deja Vu with Denzel Washington and they're explaining "folds" in time. Wow. Deja vu. :D

Post a Comment